A password field is a foundational input field component that the user can interact with and specifically input password data.
- A label should always be provided with password fields.
- If possible, validate input in client-side real-time and provide the user with immediate feedback. See HDS Form validation pattern page for more information and best practices with password fields.
- Password fields should always be mandatory. It is recommended to mark it as a required field.
- Verify that "paste" functionality, browser password helpers, and external password managers are allowed for the input.
- HDS password input provides a way to mask/unmask the password. Do not disabled this functionality without a good reason.
A default HDS password input includes an icon to mask and unmask the password.
If necessary, the mask/unmask icon can be removed and the feature controlled with an external button element.